Saturday, August 4, 2012

Suddenly I Am Fluent...In Spanish???

Okay, why is it after years of wanting to immerse in another language so I can become fluent, I arrive in Japan and the only language my brain produces, especially in panic situations, is.....Spanish????
When my bike tire went flat in the middle of the city, we found a kind policeman (who spoke no English) and I pointed to my pitiful tire.  He gestured excitedly, rattled off a long animated speech in Japanese, and finally pointed the direction we should go, which I hoped was toward a gas station.  As we rushed away dragging my bike, I shouted "Gracias!!" over my shoulder.  Perfect.

JE has seen me nearly get run over at least nine times....that is when I'm not crashing into other bikers and pedestrians. 
But, hey, all is well, because after I break someone's elbow with my handlebar I always manage to politely yell "Lo siento!" over my shoulder.   Geez.

Not content with my day of offending all Japanese yet, we went to G's favorite sushi vendor and when the man gestured to me asking if I wanted any soy sauce packets, I brilliantly blurted out, "Si, dime tres."  Ohh, I'm good.  Sorry, G!!!

To add to my daily challenges, I am really trying to follow the rules of the road here...BUT I CAN"T READ THEM!!!!


I think this was telling me to stop before I turned right...Oops.

NOW I know this one means "No bikes."

And this one is "STOP." Oops again.
This one means "Bikes Only" it seems.  I hope.
 This means "Danger...Road Under Construction"....don't worry, I only skinned my knee.

I keep forgetting how this whole left side driving thing works...not a good thing to forget when crossing the street.   As I jay-walk across lanes to get home at night, I have had several close calls with irate cab drivers zooming up on me in the left lane.  Now I have graduated to jay-biking, which means I can race away down an alley before they recognize me as a repeat offender!!!

It hovers now at 100 degrees most days, so all the daily miles of biking, combined with the incredibly humid heat, has my legs feeling like linguini!!

All that said, there are some things I really do love here!
I LOVE not driving a car.
I LOVE not buying gas.

I LOVE being able to tell JE or G to hop on a bike and get whatever ingredient I am missing for a recipe, knowing I will have it in less than 10 minutes!!!  Even with at least 50 similar looking, tiny stores on each street, they have learned which ones are good for eggs, which are good for milk, and which are good for potatoes.  The three of us have all mastered biking up the hill to our home with groceries on our backs and handlebars!!

I LOVE exploring the streets of different neighborhoods.  We found a great Mom and Pop produce shop in Hiroo, where I get great deals (for Tokyo) on bananas, grapefruit, carrots and potatoes.  I just have fun saying "ichi ninjin" meaning "one carrot".  Think it kinda bugs the shopkeeper when I start giggling after I say it though...

The produce shop is right across from Segafredo Expresso Bar, which is definitely more than great expresso, and a very popular hang-out all day long, with a variety of coffees and pastry, as well as gourmet sandwiches, cocktails, wine and beer.  Two levels of indoor seating, as well as curbside tables make it great for people watching while you enjoy a pretty good deal on well-made Italian coffee. 


Segafredo Expresso Cafe in Hiroo Village


SHOPPING IN THE FRESH MARKETS
I still can't cough up the yen for apples or melons.  Those are so pricey they are sold mainly as wonderful "gifts" for honored individuals you want to impress.
                                                 These watermelons are $201 each.


This one is $201 also.

Yep, $201 each.
                                     
But today EEL was on sale! Only $11/pound.

Even I could not sample this one.


G's new favorite dinner spot is Burger Mania, also in Hiroo.
I have to admit...I think it is the best burger I have ever had...and (for around here) the price is awesome at only $11.50/hamburger....$14/cheeseburger.

WHEN IN TOKYO...      
I still haven't given up trying to get my burger addicted family to try new culinary adventures though...

We almost went to this Yakitori, but I wanted to try a place that did not have any English words...ANYWHERE.



So here we are in the city of Roppongi...I can't even tell you what the place was called. I could not read a word on the signs. But I pointed at interesting pictures on the menu and managed not to poison anyone at our table.
Some enjoyed the cultural experience more than others.


Headed home on the subway.

What else do I LOVE here?.....the always punctual service!!!
I sent an email to our wonderful Relocation Agent and new friend, Sally, with TGA on Friday at 5pm telling her our freezer did not seem to be freezing very well.  I immediately received a note that we would have a refrigerator repairman the next day! Saturday!!.  Repairman was here early bowing and apologizing profusely and after he worked on the refrigerator he insisted on vacuuming my kitchen floor...though I did not even see a mess!!

The nice man spoke no English.  He had to explain that the refrigerator could not be fixed by typing a note into his phone so it would translate to me in English.  The phone said "Refrigerator not cold.  Freezer not cold.  Suggestion to you that must digest food from freezer very quickly."

I was about to panic, having just spend our retirement money on ground beef and chicken, but only moments later my phone rang, with the Management Company asking would I mind if they brought me a new freezer in 30 minutes....so sorry for delay!!!"  Wow.  My freezer is already here!!!  Happy Mom!!!  Thank you Sally-san !!!

SIGHTSEEING
Next destination....Top of the Tokyo Tower!!  World's tallest steel tower at 333 meters.  Eiffel Tower is 320 meters tall.  We walk by this nearly every day.





Tokyo Tower...right down the road from where we live!!!


SAYONARA for now!!!


Oh, and, per my Dad, the "Anonymous Comment" option is the one to use if you don't want to sign up for a service you aren't on.  I know some of you have gmail with Google, or one of the other choices, which all work well.  If not, just go Anonymous and sign your name if you want me to know!!!!   Thanks!!! 


10 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Like Alice's adventures in Japanland.
    I notice in the no English restaurant, Mark was still able to get his biru.
    Don't see Elizabeth..has she already returned?
    The background on the blog site is much better now. G-Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, hitotsu biru..."one beer" was his first mastery. Elizabeth is still here, often just avoiding being photographed, but also doing a good bit of babysitting for an American couple. Their little girl is featured in one of my earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love reading your brilliantly written blogs!!! i miss you and your wonderful sense of humor!!!!:-)))) love...hugs:-))))
    nik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you back babe!!!! Miss you SO much!!!!! Big hugs and I'll be at your door before you know it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. I´ll have to go visit some day: Mooch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny stuff Lynn. I might pay $150 for a cube shaped watermelon.. but not $201. -- Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Adam. :-)
      Can you tell school has started?...no time lately for writing!!!

      Delete
  7. Great to see you guys doing well! Looks like a real challenge, but I bet it gets easier every day. Keep up the blog and maybe we'll find the time to come visit. I'd love to see the place!

    Shel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shel...sorry for response delay...just noticed today that my earlier response attempt didn't post to you!!!
      Happy Thanksgiving!!

      Delete