Saturday, August 18, 2012

Grandma Got Run Over By Our G, Dear


Ohhhh sometimes I wish we could have just a FEW dull moments...

Here I was, innocently wondering if anything interesting would happen to write about this week,
and BAM!...or is that BANZAI?...I get a phone call I really didn't want...from the Japanese Police!!!

I had no idea who was on the phone or why, since all I heard was a rapid-fire jumble of incomprehensible Japanese words.  Seconds later, the phone was handed to my fair-haired little cherub, who says, his voice shaking, "Mom, you need to get on your bike and hurry towards...the police have me!!!"

The "mother's worst nightmare phone call" and he isn't even in a fraternity yet.

So I call my Relocation Angel, Sally, but she does not pick up.  She actually has a job that doesn't involve babysitting me???  Gasp!!!  I leave her the frantic message, "Sally!!!! I need you again!  G is being held by police...he has run over someone!!!!"    I am officially the Lucille Ball of Sally's world now....

Without Sally to translate, I start to panic as I will be useless to the police and G might as well start trying on orange jumpsuits (or whatever the local prison attire is).

Then I remember H, my sweet new neighbor!!  I call her and, unfortunately, she is on the other side of town, but says she will call C, my other nice new neighbor, for help.
I'm not thinking clearly at all now and go racing outside for my bike, fumbling with temporary visas, passports, yen... C calls just in time to stop me, pointing out that a cab will be much more appropriate considering the circumstances.

Thank heavens for friends!  I could never have made the driver understand where we needed to go, but C quickly rattles off directions and off we go.  Moments later we approach the intersection and to my horror we see 2 firetrucks, an ambulance, numerous police cars and 5 policemen on the corner with little G surrounded.   C and I jump out and run to G, bruised but not broken, who looks visibly relieved to see familiar English-speaking faces at last!
Japanese Police Controlling the Scene of the "Crash Heard 'Round the World"

C speaks for several minutes to the policeman in charge.  As it turns out, the firetrucks were there because of a fire that had broken out across the street.   Although G had nothing to do with the fire (Mom grasping for positive spin now), the fire was what drew the unusually large crowd into G's path.
As we are told, G was biking toward the turn he makes every day to the TAC gym, when he realized (too late) that the large crowd's attention was riveted to the excitement of the fire across the street.  G's bike bell, which usually alerts pedestrians to step aside, had no effect on them.  As he tried to slow down and swerve around one group, a lady in another group backed into his path and G plowed into her, throwing her to the ground.

Uh-oh in Hiroo as they say...well not yet...but they will as they get to know us, I bet.

Soooo, prior to our arrival, Grandma has been taken away in an ambulance.  All that is left to see is the chalk outline the Japanese police have drawn of her fallen body, as well as a drawing of where G's bike and G fell.


Not sure what the eight numbered cones were marking, but it looked like the way our police at home mark bullet casings after one of the weekly shootouts at Atlanta nightclubs.  The Japanese CSI teams take bike crashes very seriously...   G's eyes were enormous 
as he was first questioned in Japanese and then responded after friend C's translations.  After about 20 minutes and another roll of police photographs, we were allowed to leave without posting bail.

We later learn that Grandma has a broken arm.  We also learn that she has camped out at the hospital and refuses to leave until she sees the family of the Kamikase Bike Boy. Following Japanese protocol, we go (thank you H, for driving) and see the lady, who speaks no English.  As etiquette directs, we present her with a "gomenezai gift" of flowers.  She ungraciously flings them into her shopping bag, and presents us with a hefty hospital bill.  Oh joy.  We are still working through issues with Grandma, but hopefully the worst is over.
G waiting with his bike while CSI finishes photographing the scene    

What Else Have We Done Lately??



Observe the respectful people properly washing hands
                               before entering Temple grounds...                                                    
See the Americans?
Various rules of etiquette apply to visiting Shinto shrines.
True to form, these two broke nearly every rule of temple etiquette.
Drinking from the cup...really????
Meiji Shrine
Need to shop for sunglasses...

A picture of JE taking a picture!
Barrels of Wine to be Consecrated at Meiji Shrine

Hmmm...should have brought a bigger backpack that day....




Saw the Dancing Elvises at Yoyogi Park
This club has been performing every Sunday in Yoyogi for many years.


Enjoyed Meals and Saw Friends at TAC
JE with Kunio and Wichein
Pretty JE in a Sunbonnet

Finally hung a few more pictures!!!
Defying earthquakes with my dining room mirror

Surprised E by Having her Birthday in August!!! 
(She wasn't here in June)
Baskin Robbins Ice Cream "Cake"... I've seen edamame bigger than this.
(After we shelled out all our yen for this morsel we could not buy the car she wanted...sorry E!)


AND...

We said goodbye to E as she headed back to the States for school.

A very delighted E about to board her flight           

Sayonara, E!! 
We love you and will miss you!!!





















































No comments:

Post a Comment